Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Airnav Radar Box

After some 30 years of airband listening, I've finally taken the next step and splashed out on an Airnav Radar Box. If this bit of kit does everything it says on the tin, I'll be very impressed. The idea of being able to 'see' in real-time commercial aircraft flying through my area on a 'radar screen' providing me with all the same information an air traffic controller is seeing is an exciting prospect!

Also this particular product has the ability to 'see' traffic just about everywhere in the world by being able to connect to the Airnav network via the internet allowing you to receive the information from other Airnav Radar Box users globally! (albeit with a 5 minute delay in the interests of security and international laws).

Having looked at it's competitor, the Kinetic SBS-1 (now available as the 'er' version with built-in airband radio and more expensive) I believe the Airnav Radar Box looks a better product with it's networking ability and highly customisable interface but I'd be glad to hear from SBS-1 users who believe their product to be the better one!

Delivery is expected today so I will post again with my findings once I've had time to play with it.

2 comments:

dca said...

As a long time airband listener too (almst 30 years in my case!) I bought the ANRB last year and it took the listening onto a new level. No longer did I have to try & work out roughly where the traffic is. 30 years ago we could not have even dreamt of this technology!!

dca said...

Its also now available with real time network flights too, no more 5 minute delay. Again pefect for Airband listening as well as further afield through such sites as www.liveatc.com