Friday, June 10, 2005

My Airband Listening History

Hello Everybody

My name is Mark Graham and I have created this site in the hope that it might become a place for fellow airband enthusiasts to share information on all matters related to airband listening, Inc. information on scanners, reception, frequencies and events etc.

I have been airband listening for some 27 years now (started at 12, now 39 years old) my first radio being a simple 'multiband receiver' which tuned the entire VHF band in about 2cm of travel. Later I had a small 'Sharp' radio that allowed more accurate tuning and had an LED light indicating the signal strength ( I thought this was fantastic at the time). My other radios/scanners have included a Signal R537s, WIN108, Signal R535 (should NEVER have sold that one!) an ICOM IC-R10 (not impressed) and also Yupiteru MVT 5000, 7000 & 7100. Very recently I tried an Icom IC-R5 which was surprisingly impressive for such a tiny radio. My current receiver is the Yupiteru MVT7100. Although it doesn't have all the 'bells & whistles' of more modern scanners I think It is still the best for raw reception quality and ease of use. If anybody knows of a newer model that beats or matches the Yupi I'd be very happy to here from you!

I also managed to gain my Uk Private Pilots Licence in 1991 and later IMC (instrument meteorological conditions) rating & night ratings. After some 250 logged hours, in 2003 I finally gave up flying as the pressures of family & mortgage stretched my finances.


Well, that's enough about me for now, If you have anything to share with fellow airbanders please do hit the comments button at the bottom right and post it here. Thanks for reading.

Mark Graham

No comments: