Wednesday, May 07, 2008

My Apologies & Some Vulcan Gossip!


Firstly, I must apologise for not posting much recently, I seem to go through periods where I am just too busy to sit down and post but I am committed to trying to rectify this and I would like your help!
Please do contribute your comments if you have anything you would like to inform fellow enthusiasts about.

I have had a few days off work and have had the chance to 'listen in' much more on my Uniden UBC3500XLT. While working on my pc yesterday I was listening to 'central sector' (252.875Mhz) for much of the day and heard (and saw) about 8 overflights either westbound or eastbound to the south of Leicester of USAF C17 overflights. Interestingly, one of them called Lakenheath weathar info service (284.425Mhz) for the Spangdahlem weather report. So it would seem perhaps most of these overflights I can see from my location in Leicester are probably operating between the US and Germany.

And now to the Vulcan XH558 based here in Leicestershire at Bruntingthorpe:

Yesterday, Tuesday 6th May, I believe I heard Vulcan XH558 leave Bruntingthorpe around 1500hrs and call Cottesmore radar (UHF) using the callsign 'marshall 1' - she was en route to Cambridge (the home of marshall aerospace) - that's the first time I have picked her up on the scanner since her restoration but I'm still waiting for my first sighting of her in the air!

Perhaps you would like to share your experience of seeing (or hearing!) her again by posting here.
Thanks all, Mark.

2 comments:

Derek Forshaw said...

Good evening Mark, I have just invested in a UBC3500XLT. I must say I am finding it very complicated to understand and set up. I never use an airband radio for scanning or searching for frequencies. I simply enter all the frequencies I'm interested in and assign to each a channel number and listen to them individually. I can swtich between freqs by scrolling (as with the 3500XLT), but also I can switch by punching in the channel number using the keypad, and this switches instantly between the two freqs concerned. Thus this enables a very rapid switch rather than the slower process of scrolling to the new frequency. This all relates to my existing radio which is a Yupiteru MVT7100. I cannot find a way to do this on the 3500. I have entered the individual frequencies that I listen to and can switch between them by scrolling, but there appears to be no way of switching instantly between two freqs. So for example if I'm tracking an aircraft on London 132.86 heading for the North Atlantic and it switches to Scottish on 125.675 I can't switch instantly and hence lose the pilots opening transmission to Scottish owing to having to scroll. Is there any advice you could give me? Is there a feature on the 3500 that I'm overlooking?
Hope you can help.If unclear, you can contact me on 01704 226462
Kind regards, Derek Forshaw

Anonymous said...

Anyone know what display frequency does Vulcan xh558 use ?